Mardi Gras Queen Haley Johnston will pass the crown to new royalty on October 13th at the 96th annual Mardi Gras Queen Pageant in Pinckneyville. The Pinckneyville Chamber of Commerce is now seeking women between 16 and 22 years of age who are interested in competing for the title. The Chamber awards $2400 in scholarships!
- During the meet and greet on September 1st each contestant will take a photo that will be used for the Miss Photogenic contest. Only photos taken that day will be included. Contestants in attendance will receive 10 bonus points.
- Each contestant is asked to work a shift on September 29th between 8am-2pm for the famous Queen Collection on the Square. Proceeds from the collection are put into the Queens Scholarship Fund. Contestants in attendance will receive 10 bonus points.
- Each contestant is asked to make their own Mardi Gras mask which will be used in the opening number for the pageant.
- Contestants are interviewed the afternoon of the pageant, the score from the interview is worth 50% of their overall points.
- Contestants are also judged on their swimwear, which is worth 25% of their score and the final 25% is based off of their evening gown.
- The 2018 Mardi Gras Queen will receive $1500 payable to their College or University upon fulfilling their one year reign.